Thursday, September 1, 2016

Let Go

It's difficult. This thing of letting go. As humans why do we have that need to hold onto things? Habits? Relationships?  Why must we possess? It's a funny series of thoughts for me.

We own cars, houses, pets. We are owned by our jobs and sometimes our spouses. Yet do we really own those things or is it simply our ego working to make us feel powerful? Why do we have these NEEDS to have stuff?

I have been working toward the idea of owning less for quite some time. The idea of a Tiny Home is so scarily appealing to me at this point in my life. The freedom of having a life with less so that I could focus on being more present...and less responsible for THINGS. A life where I could find happiness by spending time reading, writing and simply being. This idea of owning less is something that I am actually working toward. I have also found that it is coming to me in waves of ambition.

I will ransack my house. My 5 bedroom 3 bath house mind you. I will clear out closets. Donate clothing. Empty the clutter. Working fervently to rid myself of excess and then....I allow it all to return over time. Until I am swallowed up by stuff and all of the responsibility that goes along with it again.

I don't like the cycle. The clutter, both physically and emotionally, that goes along with excess is exhausting. The process of emptying it all is even more so.

How do we get caught up in stuff? More importantly, how to we break that cycle?

No comments:

Post a Comment