Monday, January 16, 2017

Today, Just Today

I spent a good majority of last year letting go of things in my life. I shed responsibilities. I shucked ideas. I even tossed some relationships into the big hole of release. Now, in the first folds of the new year, I find that I have the gift of time.

I spoke about the gift of time at my mom's funeral. How her cancer had given us the gift of time to enjoy our last round of "lasts" with her before she was gone. I dreamt of the gift of time for a long time as a younger version of myself too. Working myself into a life of not having to work so hard for so long. Then I would wind up with TIME to enjoy my life.

Now, I still am not wealthy but I am wise. I have found ways to give myself this gift now, while I can enjoy it most.

I read books.

I play.

I enjoy my family.

...and sometimes, like on days like today, I sit and wonder what I am going to do with myself now that I have this freedom.

In yoga, we learn to practice the art of being present. A concept that always struck me as silly but as I grew, I understood how much of that very thing that people stop doing in life. We are glued to our phones, computers, TV's..and we forget to really pay attention to our lives because we feel like we don't have time for any of that other stuff.

I have time to write now. At one point, I allowed myself to try to turn this passion that I have into "work" and I had moments of hating it. All because I didn't make time to do it. Instead, I forced myself to stop enjoying the process and put it on my to do list. The schedule.

Time.

It can grant us peace and joy.

It can cause us a pile of stress.

The main thing that I have learned though, is that the way we look at it is our CHOICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment